Skip to main content

Morality, Religion, Justice and The Book of Mormon Musical

 




    When we learned about morality, religion, and justice my multicultural psychology class, we talked about the controversy in Denmark that sparks international crisis in 2005. A Danish man wanted to write a children's book about the prophet Muhammad, and was looking for a Muslim person to illustrate the book. He couldn't find anyone to illustrate his book because in the Muslim faith while there is no explicit ban on depicting the prophet Muhammad it is considered extremely disrespectful. The Danish author became frustrated and published a cartoon in his local paper depicting the prophet Muhammad with a bomb on his turban. This caused outrage in the Muslim community world wide; riots were held and people died. Despite this, the man behind the cartoon, Kurt Westergaard, the newspaper, and the Danish government did not apologize because Kurt Westergaard was expressing his freedom of speech. My professor asked the class who was morally right - the Muslim community or the Danes. I sided with the Muslim community because while freedom of speech is protected, purposefully doing something incredibly disrespectful to a marginalized group of people is wrong and mean. 

    Recently, my sister went to New York City and saw The Book of Mormon musical on Broadway. We both grew up in Utah, but not as a member of the Latter-day Saints (LDS) faith. When she got home she told me all about the musical. The musical is a satirical examination of beliefs and practices of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The story line follows two LDS missionaries who travel to a remote Ugandan village to preach their faith to the village's inhabitants. The locals aren't interested, as they have to worry about more pressing issues like HIV/AIDS, famine, female genital mutilation, child molestation, and oppression by a local warlord. So one of the missionaries tweaks the story of the Book of Mormon in order to make it more relatable to Ugandan villagers. The musical is very raunchy, especially by LDS standards. My sister described the plot to my parents and I and played some of the songs sang in the musical. We all laughed so hard, my mom actually started crying. After I finished laughing, it hit me that  this musical is probably extremely disrespectful and offensive to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and I started thinking of the morality of the musical. I thought it was fine, funny, and the writers and producers had every right to make it. Something made me think of the controversy in Denmark and the Book of Mormon Musical - why did I think one was morally wrong and one was morally right when both could be interpreted as a satirical take on religion? 

    I began by thinking about the Danish cartoon: a picture depicting the prophet Muhammad, one of the most respected and revered figures in Islam, wearing a turban with a picture of a bomb on it. I thought about why I thought this was morally wrong. The first reason I came up with was that it is disrespectful and offensive to Muslim people to depict the prophet Muhammad. But that alone didn't feel like enough to make the issue morally wrong. I thought about the Kurt Westergaard's intent which seemed to be to "get back" at Muslims in his community for not helping him, which obviously isn't kind or respectful. The last aspect of the situation I thought about was a picture of a bomb on the prophet's turban - which is out right racist and spreading a negative and harmful stereotype. I think the last two things I thought about was what moralized this issue in a negative way for me: the intent to harm and continue a very harmful stereotype narrative. To those that would argue that depicting a bomb on the prophet's turban, I would tell them that because of the a) Kurt Westergaard's intent when creating the image and b) the negative and harmful narrative perpetuated in creating that cartoon it's not satirical but harmful because it insinuates that most respected and revered figures in Islam is violent and plays into the untrue narrative that all Muslims are terrorists. 

    Then I thought about the Book of Mormon. The creators are ex-LDS, and the musical was meant to be funny. The offensiveness and disrespect comes into play when one of the missionaries changes what happens in the Book of Mormon to be more relatable to the Ugandans, but it's made very clear that it is not the truth, as it mentions Hulk and Star Trek. I guess the musical isn't actively creating negative stereotypes or narratives about the LDS church and the Danish cartoon was. 

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Your Mind by En Vogue: Anti-Prejudice Anthem Needs An Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7iQbBbMAFE       Free your mind is an anti-prejudice song released in 1992 by the American female group En Vogue. The song covers the topics of sexism, racism, prejudice, and stereotypes. Despite this song being released 30 years ago, the topics in this song are still extremely relevant today, as many people, especially those with marginalized identities, who have to face sexism, racism, prejudice, and stereotypes every day.   Before analyzing the lyrics of the song, I'm going to go over some definitions. Prejudice is a negative attitude toward another person or group formed in advance of any experience with that person or group. Prejudice can include a cognitive component, which includes assumptions and beliefs about a group, like stereotypes, and a behavioral component which includes negative behaviors, including discrimination and violence. Prejudice based on racial grouping is racism and prejudice based on sex is sexism (American Psychological A

The Colonization of Hawaii and the Lasting Effects

Since learning about the colonization of Hawaii by the U.S. government and the impact colonization has had on Native Hawaiians for centuries, I have been doing a lot of reflecting on the topic, my previous visits to Hawaii, and why we aren't taught about the colonialist past of Hawaii. I started doing research on the colonization of Hawaii and how it effects Native Hawaiians. In my multicultural psychology class we watched parts of a documentary called " Hawaii the Stolen Paradise ," I was shocked that I had never learned about the history of Hawaii before and so I watched the whole documentary and did some other research to further educate myself. A Brief History of the Colonization of Hawaii  Hawaii is an archipelago made up of eight islands. Native Hawaiians are Polynesian and are thought to have come from Tahiti or  the Marquesas Islands. By the 12th or 13th century Hawaiians were living on their own, and formed different kingdoms. In 1810, King Kamehameha united all