Skip to main content

The Reason I Can't Watch HBO's The Wire

 

                                                                    Photo courtesy of HBO

    Any time I call my parents at night they're watching The Wire. Any time I am home and the TV is on and it's not football or basketball, it's The Wire. Despite airing in 2002, it's my parent's go-to TV show. One weekend earlier in the semester I went home and my parents were watching The Wire. The Wire is set in Baltimore, Maryland, and explores the relationship between different institutions of the city and its relationship to law enforcement each season. I don't know what season I was watching, but the episode I watched was about illegal drugs and gangs. 

   So this episode had two gangs fighting over turf to sell drugs on in a low-income part of Baltimore, which the cops in the show referred to as “the ghetto.” You can tell when the characters are in “the ghetto” because it’s portrayed as a very poor part of town with run down cars, chipped paint, broken windows, empty store fronts, graffiti, and litter.  All of the gang members were portrayed by black actors, and the only white characters you saw in that area of town in the episode were police officers.  

    I made it maybe 5 minutes into the episode before I interrupted the show. I asked my parents if this show acknowledged racism, specifically systemic racism. They told me the cops were racist. I explained to them that systemic racism is when individuals are treated differently based on their race by governments, organizations, businesses, the media, education, and others. This is an example of systemic racism in the episode I watched: an old black woman was seeking the help of police to make her street a safer place to live. The police basically told her that since she lived in “the ghetto” it was hopeless, and she should just move. One of the police officers even went as far as bribing someone or calling in a favor to get the money to move the woman into an apartment in a safer part of town but she refused to leave her home. I then pointed out that this was an example of systemic racism, and that systemic racism could explain a lot of situations in the show. My parents told me to “just enjoy the show.” A few minutes after that there was a microaggression in the show and I started talking about microaggressions and how harmful they are to people’s mental and physical health. I told them what I had learned in class – that dealing with microaggressions everyday can lead to racial stress, which is a form of chronic stress, and chronic stress leads to bad behaviors and health issues. I told them about an article I read that found that being a repeated target of racial microaggressions is connected to poorer physical health. In addition, they found that one’s energy levels, emotional well-being, social functioning, and pain were also significantly negatively correlated with one’s overall experience of microaggressions (Nadal et al., 2019). At this point I could tell my parents were getting annoyed with me for interrupting the show, so I left before the episode finished. 

    What I’ve learned is so important for understanding people. I just wanted to teach them some of what I knew because I kept seeing things in the show that reminded me of concepts I learned about in class. When people consume media and aren’t educated about underlying reasons for an issue, it can reenforce negative stereotypes, prejudice, and implicit biases. I think it’s cool that I find things that connect with what I’ve learned outside of a school setting. The reason I can't watch The Wire is because I get frustrated with the lack of a multicultural perspective, and therefore the people I watch with get frustrated with me, and I wouldn't chose to watch The Wire by myself. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Your Mind by En Vogue: Anti-Prejudice Anthem Needs An Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7iQbBbMAFE       Free your mind is an anti-prejudice song released in 1992 by the American female group En Vogue. The song covers the topics of sexism, racism, prejudice, and stereotypes. Despite this song being released 30 years ago, the topics in this song are still extremely relevant today, as many people, especially those with marginalized identities, who have to face sexism, racism, prejudice, and stereotypes every day.   Before analyzing the lyrics of the song, I'm going to go over some definitions. Prejudice is a negative attitude toward another person or group formed in advance of any experience with that person or group. Prejudice can include a cognitive component, which includes assumptions and beliefs about a group, like stereotypes, and a behavioral component which includes negative behaviors, including discrimination and violence. Prejudice based on racial grouping is racism and prejudice based on sex is sexism (American Psychological A

The Colonization of Hawaii and the Lasting Effects

Since learning about the colonization of Hawaii by the U.S. government and the impact colonization has had on Native Hawaiians for centuries, I have been doing a lot of reflecting on the topic, my previous visits to Hawaii, and why we aren't taught about the colonialist past of Hawaii. I started doing research on the colonization of Hawaii and how it effects Native Hawaiians. In my multicultural psychology class we watched parts of a documentary called " Hawaii the Stolen Paradise ," I was shocked that I had never learned about the history of Hawaii before and so I watched the whole documentary and did some other research to further educate myself. A Brief History of the Colonization of Hawaii  Hawaii is an archipelago made up of eight islands. Native Hawaiians are Polynesian and are thought to have come from Tahiti or  the Marquesas Islands. By the 12th or 13th century Hawaiians were living on their own, and formed different kingdoms. In 1810, King Kamehameha united all

Morality, Religion, Justice and The Book of Mormon Musical

       When we learned about morality, religion, and justice my multicultural psychology class, we talked about the controversy in Denmark that sparks international crisis in 2005. A Danish man wanted to write a children's book about the prophet Muhammad, and was looking for a Muslim person to illustrate the book. He couldn't find anyone to illustrate his book because in the Muslim faith while there is no explicit ban on depicting the prophet Muhammad it is considered extremely disrespectful. The Danish author became frustrated and published a cartoon in his local paper depicting the prophet Muhammad with a bomb on his turban. This caused outrage in the Muslim community world wide; riots were held and people died. Despite this, the man behind the cartoon, Kurt Westergaard, the newspaper, and the Danish government did not apologize because Kurt Westergaard was expressing his freedom of speech. My professor asked the class who was morally right - the Muslim community or the Danes